So the /Build 2013 keynotes for day one are done and below are some of the highlights from them. If you haven't watched the keynotes, be sure to put that on your list, right after installing the Windows 8.1 Preview.
Warning : Installing anything called "preview" is for advanced/enthusiast folks. Please be responsible and don't install the preview before you have made sure there's nothing on the machine you can't afford to lose. In the unfortunate event of "Something Bad Happening", be prepared to re-pave your machine to get back to status quo.
- Windows 8.1 Preview launched. Download it from http://preview.windows.com
- Redesigned Windows Store in Windows 8.1 to better connect consumers to the apps they want.
- More Monetization Opportunities such as Windows Store gift cards and third party payment systems.
- Leading Design and Devices that showcase developer productivity wit flexible windows states, new live tile designs and automatic updating.
- Preview Releases of Visual Studio 2013, Team Foundation Server and .NET 4.5.1 to make it easier for developers to create apps and services that span across mobile devices and the cloud. Learn about all the new features, and download here.
- Bing Developer Platform to embed intelligent services in apps for Windows 8.1, Windows Phone, Xbox and Office.
- Great new apps via partnerships with the NFL, Facebook, Flipboard and more.
Below are some resources to help you in learning more about the preview of Windows 8.1, Visual Studio 2013 and .Net 4.5.1
Windows 8.1 Preview Guides
- Windows 8.1 Preview Product Guide This all-up product guide is an overview of what’s new in Windows 8.1 for everyone.
- Windows 8.1 Preview Product Guide for developers The product guide for developers is an overview of what’s new in Windows 8.1 Preview for app builders.
- Windows 8.1 Preview Feature Guide for developers The feature guide covers new APIs and features for developers.
- Migration guide for app builders This whitepaper covers the step-by-step details on updating your app from Windows 8 to Windows 8.1 Preview.
Windows Dev Center updates for Windows 8.1 are now live!
Developer downloads – This single page gives you access to all the downloads you need to build Windows Store apps for Windows 8.1 Preview. You can access the Windows 8.1 Preview downloads, Visual Studio 2013 Preview, code samples, and additional SDKs and tools.
Developer content – The developer content in the Windows Dev Center is updated for Windows 8.1 Preview with new API reference documentation, feature guide, migration guide, and new start to finish narratives on Windows Store app UI, Flat navigation, User interaction, and Media playback.
WindowsStore.com – The app builder campaign will promote the downloads and product guide, and will be updated with new evidence videos soon.
Blogs to read
- Windows Team Blog: This is the blog where you will find information about Windows 8.1 Preview for all audiences and posts about new apps.
- Windows App Builder Blog NEW! This new blog combines our two previous blogs – Windows Store for developers blog and the Windows 8 app developer blog – into a single place with our other Windows blogs. App builders can find best practices to design, build, and market apps from the Windows team. Over the coming weeks, there will be a series of new posts about Windows 8.1 preview published here.
- Somasegar Blog: S. Somasegar is the corporate vice president of the Developer Division at Microsoft. Take a look at his latest Visual Studio 2013 Preview release announcement to find out more about this release.
- Developer Tools Blog Network: This network hosts the top Microsoft developer-related blogs. Check the latest feed to learn about the new features in store for developers.
- Microsoft Advertising Blog: Find out what’s new with Ads in Apps and the SDK.
And there's more to come. I'll be looking at some of the more developer oriented features in the weeks to come and providing details posts here. be sure to tune in for the next two days of content on Channel 9